Algona, Washington - 98001
Algona was first purchased in 1874 by L.S. Rogers. It was then sold to the Hillmanns in 1906, and is the first mention of an easement for the right of way, for the interurban railway between Seattle and Tacoma. It was a city rich in soil for vegetation. The name Algoma was suggested, an Indian name meaning "Valley of Flowers", and was submitted, but for some reason the name of Algona was substituted. It was a town full of life, festivals, and dancing. Mayor John Matchett had a huge take in the growth and development of Algona. He served 3 terms between 1968 and 1987. He guided the city through several projects including; building new roads, putting in a new water supply system, building a new school, and extending highway 167. Between 1984 and 1988 Algona had continued growth in business, one being The Tharco Manufacturing plant renting out a large area for packaging foam plastics. Algona is an old city, with older buildings, as well as new growth. There is always the possibility of animals gaining access to your home.